Saints, Sinners and Paint Thinner

bale saintsThis is it, then. The last hurrah. Eagle-eyed viewers will have noticed that the midweek game at Stamford Bridge is rather an important encounter, but the bleak reality for Tottenham is that if we decide to lay a steamed pudding in our trousers tomorrow afternoon and results elsewhere go awry, then the jig is up and Wednesday will be nothing more than a showpiece for the hopeless and socially abhorrent. Particularly if John Terry is within racializing distance.

Southampton will be without creative fulcrum Gastón Ramírez for the game; who’s carrying out a three-match suspension after Shane Long entertained the frightful business of socking his cheek into the Uruguayan’s elbow. As an aside, did you also know that Ramírez was born in Fray Bentos? Which, if nothing else, reminds me of a highly lucrative pastry and cigarette company I’d like you all to invest in. It’s called, wait for it: ‘Pie, Fags ‘R’ Us.

You know, like, Pythag… oh I give up.

Elsewhere Danny Fox is also suspended after he tried to atomise Steven Reid’s leg(s)/arm(s)/entire body.

For us the only doubt- apart from those clawing, soul-tugging fears that we’ll not qualify for the Champions League and all of our squad and manager will leave before White Hart Lane is swallowed up into a fiery, blazing sinkhole and the club is lost forever- is Moussa Dembélé, who picked up a hamstring tweak against Wigan. Adebayor is apparently fit. So there you go.

Here’s how Southampton might line-up:

letiss

Jokes.

Tags: , ,

21 Responses to Saints, Sinners and Paint Thinner

Supposedly, Moose is set for a late fitness test and if passed fit, I’d seriously consider dropping Parker. It really can’t be argued that we’ve looked much better in recent games the second Scotty comes out. If AVB persists with the recent 4-3-3, I’d go with Holtby, Moose and Thud as the middle 3. Gaz Baz, Azza and Ade up front. As much of a non-scoring disappointment as Ade has been, his work off the ball allows Bale to get free and do damage. Defoe will always be a better option from the bench, for me. And AVB; for the luvva god stop with Naughton at LB. I get you are not convinced by Benny, but Naughton clearly isn’t a better choice. And if we’re just going to sub Benny for Naughton anyway (after Kyle has been pants) it’s a waste of a sub!

Smart post, as ever, SSG. I’m in total agreement on the BAE issue. He has his downfalls but he’s, at the very worst, the best of an iffy bunch.

On the subject of Benny, have you read his interview with David Hytner? http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/may/03/benoit-assou-ekotto-tottenham

Damned vanishing info

4. avatar Aran says:

I really hate this time of year. The early days of summer always leave me feeling both cheery and stressed which is a heady and confusing combination. In days of yore this would be due to the impending summer holidays combined with the hateful end of term exams season. These days it’s the promise of long, lazy evenings in the London summer haze and glorious weekends sipping cider in beer gardens tinged with the tension that comes with an important end of season run-in. Why must life taunt me so!?

That said, I feel pretty confident about this match. And if we do win then we’re looking at a great chance of third place. Would be a wonderful end to the season.

One man team and I don’t give a fuck.

6. avatar tony says:

this avb fella has produced dull football at home all season

7. avatar Aran says:

One definition of “world class” is probably a player who can change a game single handedly. By that measure Bale is clearly world class. I don’t think we should be concerned about that either. All top teams have a player or two who, when it’s not going well, provide a moment of magic. A midfielder who finds that pass no one else sees, a keeper who makes a string of world class saves or a striker who can find the net from impossible positions. We’ve got Bale.

So, as we have suspected for a while, it comes down to us v. the Chavs. It will be tough, but it can be done if AVB gets his tactics right. The defenders pick themselves at this point (to me at least) and that means Hugo/Walker/Daws/Jan/Benny.

It’s the midfield where things get interesting. With Moose doubtful, the choices are a bit thin. No choice but to bring Parker back in. I hope AVB specifically tells him to simply support the defenders, break up opposing play, pass quickly, and not venture beyond the half way line. I will break my TV if I see another of his pointless runs forward with his patented ‘blast ball into the stands’ end product. Pulling the strings will probably be Thud (I might gamble on Carroll, but AVB won’t), and Holby alongside.

For attackers, it’s time to drop Clint, as much as I love the big ‘Murican; he has been well off the pace lately. So Azza wide right, Super Bale cutting in from the left. And up front, I still say Ade starts. He has been far from brilliant, but he can at least occupy defenders and let Bale find some room. Defoe to sub in as a late goal threat.

As a general ethos for the game, it has to be strong attacking. There is no point in sitting back, as a draw isn’t really much better for us than a loss. Anything less than 3 points takes our CL fate out of our hands, so we may as well take some chances and attack.

Hugo
    Walker/Daws/Jan/Benny
    Parker
    Thud/Holtby
    Lennon/Bale
    Ade

• avatar Aran says:

I wonder if it’s too much to hope that the Chelsea players will be a tiny bit distracted by the whole United/Fergie/Mourinho thing…? I guess it is.

I agree that the job can be done. I also largely agree with the selection above. Who knows, maybe Dembele will make it. If so then the whole team starts to look stronger. Then again, we have a nice balance of pace, passing skills and industry in that side. Holtby can buzz around in the hole and Thud can play the quarterback. Lennon and Bale could be the keys, of course.

Our starting line-up: Lloris; Walker, Dawson, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto; Lennon, Huddlestone, Parker, Holtby; Adebayor, Bale.

Our subs: Friedel, Caulker, Naughton, Carroll, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Defoe.

10. avatar Aran says:

It’s all looking a bit not really particularly great.

Out of our hands now. Need to win the next two and have the Red or Blue Turds slip up.

• avatar tony says:

Spurs had 65 points after 36 games last season (catastrophe causing managers dismissal)
        Spurs have 66 points after 36 games this season (magnificent and all Levy could have wanted)

No silverware and heading for another season in the Europa League is not progress.

• avatar Anonymous says:

That’s a bit selective and a bit unfair.

Redknapp was dismissed after letting a huge lead fall away while planning on taking over as England boss which aggravated an already deteriorating relationship with the chairman. Redknapp had been given plenty of time and was failing to make enough progress. His tactical skills seemed to have met their limit. We couldn’t progress under him.

AVB has already outperformed Redknapp with an arguably weaker squad (no Modric or VDV and only two strikers) in only his first season. This while introducing new players and a new system and getting to know his squad.

This season is progress and we’re still in with a chance of the CL.

Tony: our best point total in the PL era was 70 in 09-10. We have a chance at 72 now. This is even though AVB lost our two most creative players (VDV and Luka) and our longtime captain (King). He coped with Benny, Sandro, Kaboul and Parker being out on long term injuries, and Ade going from 17 goals/11 assistants in the league to a shadow of that player. Yet, still, the CL is possible.

Yup, terrible manager that AVB.

• avatar Aran says:

By the way, that Anonymous one up there was me.

Back in with a chance

• avatar Aran says:

Absolutely.

Whatever happens, I think AVB and the boys can be proud of their achievements this year. I believe Bale will stay and we’ll strengthen in key areas, ready for a big push next season. Players bedded in, youngsters a little more mature and the AVB way well and truly in place.

Fox: time for an end of season blog-stravaganza.

13. avatar who framed ruel fox says:

I’m on it, SSG. Just had a few things to juggle this week, of all weeks.

I’ve got a quick post coming out today/tonight. A competion to win the ‘Harry’s Game’ book later in the week plus an interview with the author, a Huffington Post piece and an end-of-season/Sunderland preview.

If someone knows how to freeze time, I would be tremendously grateful!