Chelsea’s Flowers Need Depotting

tumblr_ks7f3dSiYL1qanx1ho1_400If I can talk like a big-shot Hollywood scriptwriter for just a second: this sh*t’s about to get real. Chelsea at The Bridge this afternoon and we’re in the unenviable position of knowing that three points are less advisable as downright essential. If, that is, we’re to keep the flickering hope of re-entering The Big Show next season from vanishing out of sight like all those ex-boyfriends of Kate Middleton who couldn’t keep their bloody mouths shut. Or at least not shut enough for MI5’s particular liking.

‘Is that wedding bells I hear? Oh no, my mistake. That’s the sound of my head being thwacked under a toilet seat.’

Torres is amongst the living again, so it seems, as are Chelsea. The Spaniard’s successful conversion against the Pikey patrol last week coming amidst a winning streak for the Blues which has seen them propelled into the position of United’s closest challengers. Which, in laymen’s terms, means they’re shoe-ins as runners-up. Oh, the shame. I’m not sure how they can bare it.

Good spirits you’ll find me in this morning, which’ll stretch as far as an optimistic prediction.

1-0 to the Spurs

Tally-ho!

Tags:

35 Responses to Chelsea’s Flowers Need Depotting

1. avatar osvaldo villa says:

Fuck me 1st.
    COYS.

2. avatar osvaldo villa says:

I think that we have left it to late but we are still hard to beat, so there might be light at the end of the tunnel, lets hope.
    COYS>

Tottenham Team:

Gomes; Corluka, Dawson, Kaboul, Gallas; Lennon, Modric, Sandro, Bale; Van der Vaart; Pavlyuchenko.

Subs: Cudicini, Bassong, Jenas, Pienaar, Rose, Crouch, Defoe.

OK, serious question: Can Gomes be rehabilitated? Yes, he is a great stopper, but the flubs are returning and they have been costly. He eliminated those miscues for the most part last season, but was THAT the aberration and is the sometimes brilliant, sometimes bumbling keeper his true level?

I wish I knew. He’s had a weird time of it at Spurs. First season, he was mostly terrible. Second season, he was mostly brilliant. Third season, he’s been both – often in the same game.

If any man in the squad embodies the Tottenham experience of the last three plus years, it’s him.

Yeah, I don’t know either, but the main thing is that Harry has to make that call. For all of our well known misfiring strikers, it’s been sloppy goals that have done us in lately. True, you can’t put them all on Gomes but he has had a hand in many of those.

• avatar AS says:

Obviously the lino made a mistake but Gomes has been making those type of fumbles more this season than last. The thing with the keepers position is that you usually have to have a number one choice who barring injury always plays. Anywhere else on the pitch you can mix and match and rotation is not a big issue.
          I think the club will be tempted to stick with him like we did with the strikers last summer and hope he gets back to his best and if he does then we have had a result. But what do we do if he fumbles goals in the first few games of next season? Suddenly try to draft in a keeper in a rush and give him no pre season to settle and just hope it works out? That is the kind of thing that can wreck a season before it has started.

Spot on Fox.
    You actually got the legitimate scoreline correct.

So, are we all looking forward to playing FC Timbuktu and Real Blahblahblah in the UEFA Cup/whatever it’s called today next season?

• avatar Aran says:

Yeah – well – seems like fourth is almost impossible now. If we beat City and they fumble a couple of matches it could still happen though.

We’ve got a great, young team. A couple of changes in the closed season (assuming we can hold onto our best players) and we will be challenging for the top four again.

The bottom four are Blackpool, Wigan, Wolves, and West Ham. 24 points available, and we took 6 (with a game to go against Blackpool). That’s our season’s downfall. The current top four all took at least 18 points so far from those teams. The occasional dropped points against a bottom side is to be expected, but the amount we have dropped is a scandal.

• avatar Aran says:

That’s entirely down to strikers. You can dominate games all you like but if no one puts it in the net you can’t win. We so needed a new striker.

Our goal difference not only underscores your point, but highlights it with a big thick highlighter pen, and shines a bright light on it.

• avatar AS says:

Agreed. Been a good season overall but I lost count of the number of games where we battered opponents but could not deliver the goals to finish games off. then too often we spent the last 15 minutes working like dogs because the game was still alive rather than be 4 goals up like our play deserved.

Even going back to that first game of the season against city where we created chance after chance but ended goalless. Harry ended up having to try some variations to try to find goals from somewhere..Good job the rest of the team did not flop like the forwards or we would be going down with West Ham.

On the bright side though we may have missed out on a great chance of glory this season the last two windows but if we do fix the glaring problems early in the summer we are set for a great season next year.

• avatar Aran says:

The biggest bright spot for me is Sandro. If we can add a striker and keep our best players he is going to complete one hell of a midfield next season. He was amazing against Chelsea.

Once again, I find myself in full agreement with Mr Aran.

Sandro is a true beast, and seems to have hit amazing form a *lot* earlier than I was expecting him to.

In fact, he’s surpassed dear ol’ Sarge as the DM of choice for me. That goal against Chelsea was the icing on an already very tasty cake.

Take a bow, Sandro! 🙂

7. avatar Brycie says:

Well that was a pile of shite me thinks!!

@KayBee

Now, if Sandro only stops that nasty habit of getting forward and scoring. Harry rightly chided him for this and making our donkey strikers look bad. 😉

9. avatar Mark G says:

I’ve just read down this thread and wondered who that Palacios bloke was Kaybee mentioned? I don’t think the question should be who plays between Sandro and Wilson but how do we acccomodate THUD and Sandro in CM?

I also agree wholeheaertedly with everything said about our season. With our goal difference we have done bloody well to be where we are but the bottom line is regardless of goal keeping blunders, that make the press alot more readily than excellent saves he’s made, we simply have not scored enough goals.

Who we get in summer is anyones guess and I shudder to think. Please no-one mention Kenwynne Jones

Great post.

Yeah, I’m not on the “Gomes out” bandwagon, as the bloke is just short on confidence. He hasn’t looked the same since he came back off that injury. I’m sure if you tally up the excellent saves and the fumbles, he’s well in the black.

Far more concerning to me than a Goalie who drops an occasional clanger is an entire strike force not performing in the league.

Lastly… Kenwyne Jones *ducks*

• avatar Mark G says:

Kaybee,

If we’d have scored another 20 goals over the season Gomes and his lapses of concentration wouldn’t even get a mention. We’d be fighting for 2nd instead of 5th and we’d all be happy. Well, when I say happy we’d still find something to pis* and whinge about but we’d be ok.

My concern with Gomes is that the fumbles that plagued his game in his first season, but he seemingly eliminated last season, are now popping back up. Is the Hero or the Bumbler his real level? I think he has been mostly great for us and I hope he sorts it out, but more than any other position, keeper is result oriented. Harry will need to figure out Gomes’ true level.

People of Earth.

My sincerest of apologies, WFRF has been running at half-mast for the last month or so. Unavoidable circumstances have made it nigh on impossible for me to post as often as I would like. I shan’t bore you with the details except to say that things will be thumping swiftly along again in due course. Starting with a Blackpool preview tomorrow and a delightful competition in which one of you lucky folk can win one of SSG’s prized Seattle Sounders T-shirts.

Stayed tuned. And stay classy.

x

Gimme one of those tee-shirts, you mutha!! 🙂

13. avatar ruetheday says:

@Mark G – Ok, not Kenwyne, how about a certain Mr Bent? Sandra points (well made at the time) aside, the way we’ve played this season, Darren could’ve been rather handy to have available.

I’ll regret saying this, but it almost looks like Comolli knew what he was doing.

@seattlespursguy – Gomes – hero or bumbler? His pre-Spurs form would suggest hero. I think all keepers are either mental and prone to what Champ Manager politely termed ‘eccentricity’ or incredibly boring, and those guys are like golddust, particularly in an age where a solid, boring and reliable keeper is promptly whisked away to play for the cost of a couple of luxury cars per week in the Champions League.

@who framed ruel fox? – Half mast you say? Well I hope things improve for you, mr foxy. Alas, I won’t waste my hopes on 4th place…

Also, competition? Whoopee!

14. avatar AS says:

I would not turn away Kenwyne Jones. If we had bought him last summer along with Bellamy we would be sat in 2nd place qualified already for the CL and laughing at city.

He is probably about the level we are after and willing to pay for too. Maybe we will get Kenwyno Jonez from Spain or Portugal with mucho fanfare but he will be the same type of level just less experienced.

Now if we were smart about it we would make the maths work to get Drogba. But having watched the rigid way our pay/transfer structure works over recent years that looks precluded. So yet another summer of rumors, inactivity, and last minute bargain hunting is one the cards.