All Action, No Plot’s Magnum Opus

Spurs Cult Heroes 9781848181083

If you’re one of the few people who haven’t read All Action, No Plot before, the first port of call is a good dressing down and a ‘where the flip have you been?’ As most of you will testify: I’m no expert, but I know a first-rate blog when I clap eyes on one. And AANP is the cat’s whiskers. Thoughtful, witty, insightful. In short, a consistently good read which probably appears on every ‘Best of the Spurs Blogs’ list out there.

He’s only gone and penned a bloomin’ book.

It’s called Spurs’ Cult Heroes and it goes on sale this weekend from all good outlets:

Tottenham Hotspur Football Club has been blessed with more than its fair share of wonderful and entertaining players in its long and illustrious history. From goalscorers such as 1901 FA Cup-winning hotshot Sandy Brown through sixties goal-getter supreme Jimmy Greaves to 1990s saviour Jürgen Klinsmann, glamour has always been part of being idolised at Spurs. But so too has being something of a controversial maverick. Fake-boob wearing Gazza was as daft as a brush. The sublimely-skilled Glenn Hoddle was ignored by England, while Argentinean imports Ossie Ardiles and Ricky Villa both became embroiled in controversy surrounding the Falklands War. “

In Spurs’ Cult Heroes, Michael Lacquiere tells the remarkable tale of the club’s 20 greatest fans’ icons and discovers the true stories about exactly what double-winning Dave Mackay said to Billy Bremner whilst grabbing him round the throat, which legend dented the FA Cup in post-match celebrations, why Gazza once turned up to training plastered in GBP50 notes and whether David Ginola’s acting career was worth it. Not to mention the debate about why hairstyles play such an important part in being adored at Spurs.’’

I can’t yet claim to have glanced at one page of the 220-odd within. But, as a Tottenham fan- alive to the pleasures of reading, if it’s half as good as what comes out of AANP Towers every week, then it’ll be a cracking bit of work. I think I’m right in saying there’re pictures, too.

So probably best to pre-order a copy now.

All the ‘clicky’ vitals are listed below.

Ceeermonyouspurs.

Waterstones, Tesco, Play, Amazon, WHSmiths, Tottenhamhotspur.com

25 Responses to All Action, No Plot’s Magnum Opus

1. avatar anon says:

220 pages doesn’t seem long enough for a magnificent octopus

2. Great to see a fellow blogger spreading those wings! Good luck to AANP and can’t wait to have a crack at it.

“I was in Nashville, Tennesee last year, after the show I went to a Waffle House, I’m not proud of it, I was hungry. And I’m alone, I’m eating and I’m reading a book, right? A waitress walks over to me, and says,

*sounds of gum chewing* “What you readin’ for?”

Isn’t that like the weirdest question you’ve ever heard?

Not WHAT am I reading, but what am I reading FOR.

Well, g’dammit, you stumped me. Why do I read? Well… hmmm… I guess I read for a lot of reasons, and the main one is so I don’t end up being a fucking waffle waitress.”

Any excuse for a Bill Hicks quote! 🙂

• avatar Spiritual Advisor says:

Love that man, live at the Dominion Theatre is possibly my most favourite stand-up routine of all time.

• avatar kojac says:

lookie here we got ourselves a reader,ha

i knew that was hicksy when you got to the waffle house, RIP

• avatar spud gun says:

I miss Bill Hicks

Wish he was still around today when we’ve got to put up with the likes of Peter Kay and Lee Mack with their cack ‘observational comedy’.

Ditto – the greatest American stand-up ever, in my humble opinion.

Doug Stanhope’s pretty damn funny, too.

As for over here, I’m afraid the Peter Kaye and Lee Mack’s are taking over.

Save us, Frankie Boyle, Stewart Lee, Ross Noble and Dara O-Brien – you’re our only hope(s)!

• avatar Sambo says:

Ah Mr Stanhope, a comedian Mr Hicks would of no doubt approved! Did you see his recent stint on Brooker’s Newswipe? Quality stuff. Here’s a little tasty for those of you yet to have the pleasure:

I had a girl say this to me. She goes “you know, if god intended women to suck dick, he’d made cum taste like chocolate” I said “Yeah, but he had to make it taste like bleach so you remember to do the laundry”

Jim Jefferies will also save us from the Kaye/Mack dross.

Charlie Brooker is currently the best thing on TV… until of course Armando Ianucci and Chris Morris bring out their respective new programs.

Speaking of Morris, I posted this on another thread, but figured I’d post again. Here’s a clip of Chris Morris’s new film Four Lions, a comedy about UK Jihadis http://www.youtube.com/watch#!videos=BiElgXg7xC4&v=dZVfyQyu9RY – he’s got balls like spacehoppers that man.

• avatar Sambo says:

My work firewall won’t allow youtube, but I’m guessing it’s the ‘peroxide/what disguises did you use?’ clip…

“I used my IRA terrorist voice”

Comic. Genius.

• ‘I’m Doug Stanhope and that’s why I drink…’

As the guys said- his Newswipe stint is just brilliant. Tim Key’s poetry corner gives me a serious bout of the chuckles, too. But I know some people who just think he’s an idiot.

• avatar Sambo says:

Key’s is clearly a very funny man but that show ‘we need answers’ is not the best vehicle for his talents. ‘Cowards’ got the best out of him – that sketch with the four city types living in a caravan was a very good!

4. avatar spud gun says:

Upon reading this I have spent the last hour reading posts from the AANP archives!

Fantastic blog and already pre-ordered the book.

Loving the togetherness amongst blogs

5. Saw that 3MP just scored. I hope that ‘Arry doesn’t think Pete deserves a start now.

Ah, I see Pav has scored for Russia. All good then.

6. Is Davspurs a fan of England? I’d love to hear his take.