Stoke at The Lane | Not the End of the World

Ho, ho and indeed ho. Tottenham are up against footballing Renaissance men Stoke this afternoon; a team who if they were represented by the medium of architectural design, would be a pile of breeze blocks thrown into a dirty skip.

Tony Pulis. Man’s man; man’s manager; manager’s manager. Man. Great worth does the Newportian place in safeguarding the values of the game we call soccerball. Doing things, in a manner of speaking, the right way. Which approximately translates as: them perfume PONCE foreigners go down too easily and there’s no amount of stamping, shirt pulling or wallops about the brainbox that a firm handshake couldn’t resolve between men.

To recap: bone-shuddering two-footed challenge followed by a dusting off and a sturdy meeting of paws= good. Unhindered tumbles (unless performed by Charlie Adam) = very much bad.

Meanwhile for Spurs, that injury list which threatened to run longer than Methuselah’s beard is beginning to recoil. Parker last week, Disco Benjamin with every chance of making a return this. A lad name Gareth Bale, still riding high on the buzz of reaching 200k Twitter followers this week, is also in contention for a start. Which’ll go down well with the locals.

Hamstring pending, this is could be a game for Michael Dawson to savour, like a hog frolicking in his own swill. Call it team selection of the putting tab B into slot variety (Stoke like twonking into the mixer, Dawson is adept at propelling it out) but you can’t help but feel this would be just his kind of afternoon. I’d also fancy bunging Parker AND Sandro in midfield today, if only to see how the Brazilian operates when his defensive chores are reduced. There’s more to his game than grinding adversaries to bone-marrow: he’s a joy to watch going forward, too. As for the rest of ‘em…

Tags: , , , , ,

16 Responses to Stoke at The Lane | Not the End of the World

How to give Daws an easy afternoon apart from putting him on the bench?
    Cut of their…. insert suitable noun….suggested answer ‘supply’ or leave it to predictive text facility.
    Irritating thoiugh sometimes funny.
    ‘pile of bricks thrown into a dirty skip’ …..’Like it so much I might use it myself. Only joshing Fox. As if…
    ‘Twonking’ a technical term with which, as a Spurs supporter, I am unfamiliar.

2. avatar Matt says:

Team I woul say is almost right – but against this lot I would consider moving Verts to LB and having Caulker in there.. JV should be able to handle anything they have coming from the wings and give us some extra height across the back line.. Could see Naughton being caught out from a high back post cross to Crouch in this kind of game of game…

Disappointing not to break them down. We definitely need more cutting edge in a game like this.

Team with best defensive record in the league comes to the Lane to play for a point. Spurs don’t score.

Film at eleven.

Yeah, unlike some, I actually wasn’t expecting much. I had a bit of an on-line tussle with unreasonably pissed off guy who insisted this should have been a “comfortable home win” and our failure to take the points shows how clueless AVB is.Entitled much, friendo?

That said, Levy needs to back AVB this window with players he wants, rather than whats available for cheap. Looking at the bench I didn’t see much in the way of game changer.

I thought Sigurdsson looked the most likely to score after he came on. His movement around the box was excellent, perhaps made to look even better by virtue of the fact that he was the only one, you know, moving. I’d like to see him start behind a lone striker on Boxing Day, preferably Adebayor since those two seem to be on the same page more or less. I like them as the softly, softly subtle partnership in attack and Defoe/Dempsey as the more direct pairing.

I make you right on the pairings. Siggy has had a rough start but he seems to understand the AVB system better nowand is always looking to make an impact. Playing off Ade could be the making of him.

4. avatar Loop says:

Benoit Assou-Ekotto to Chelsea in the press. Been at Spurs 6 years and Levy don’t keep players long term and has bought cheaper replacements already so I believe this one will happen. Great player.

Who? Danny Rose? He is a downgrade on Benny. Naughton is an RB and Jan is a CB, though they can cover that position at need. Benny doesn’t seem to put much stock in the story:

The 28-year-old told Sky Sports: “I have a contract until 2015 with Spurs and I do not know if they want to sell me, so for me it is paper talk.”

Not to say Benny would know, but it seems a bit unlikely.

Merry Christmas from Sea-Town, folks. Enjoy the holiday.

Festive tidings to one and all!

See you on the other side.

x

Jeez, absolutely battering Villa and can’t get a goal.

8. avatar Aran says:

Gareth Bale… he’s bloomin’ world class. Just amazing. He’s one of those players who can change a game single handedly.